History of the Silver Fawn
In 1969, a study was conducted by the BSA on the subject, "Awards for Women." One of the results of this study was the creation of the "Silver Fawn Medal." It was introduced in 1971 for use at the council level and was designed to be the women's equivalent of the Silver Beaver Award, which since 1931 had gone to male Scouters who had made outstanding contributions to Scouting at the local council level.
The original medal was a solid silver mule deer fawn in a 'seated' posture suspended from a green and white ribbon. The silver fawn is approximately 1.25" wide and .75" high. The ribbon is 1" wide x 20" long and is equally divided into green and white colored fields.
Elizabeth Augustus Knight, Marjorie Merriweather Post, and Ann W. Nally were the first "Fawns" of record. In 1971, 382 Silver Fawn awards were presented. During the next 2 years, 1,634 Silver Fawn awards were presented. In 1974 BSA discontinued their use after presenting 439 awards in the first 6 months of that year. A total of 2,455 Silver Fawns were given to outstanding women Cub Scouters before the award was discontinued in 1974. After that, women Cub Scouters received the Silver Beaver along with their male counterparts.