Delivering Quality Fishing Programs
This CAI course is designed to qualify volunteers for improving their council’s Outdoor Program by utilizing Fishing programs. Fishing offers a great opportunity for Scout recruitment and retention; however it needs YOU as a Fishing Champion for your council.
The goal of this course is to improve council, district and unit fishing programs and train Fishing, Fly Fishing, and Fish and Wildlife Management Merit Badge Counselors on the official BSA approach to these badges.
Councils who have endorsed the CAI program are delivering great success with Scout fishing programs. Sign up and you can get qualified as a BSA Certified Angling Instructor, learn fundamental Fishing, Fly-fishing, Fish and Wildlife and Management skills, learn how to teach them, and have Fun! Help us to strengthen fishing instruction and programs at councils and camps across the country.
Fishing as a Program Priority!
- According to a recent Boy’s Life survey, fishing is the 4th most popular outdoor activity among scouts with 61% participating.
- Our founder Baden Powell, an avid Fly Fisherman, is recognized as a pioneer for “Catch and Release” fishing by the International Game Fish Association and was inducted into the Fishing Hall of Fame.
- Over two million Scouts have earned the Fishing Merit Badge.
- Fishing is a great activity for Scouts of all ages and in all programs.
- Minimal resources are currently assigned to fishing programs and camp fisheries with plenty of room for improvement!
Who Should Attend?
Participants include current and future Council Camp Program Directors and Fishing Staff, Merit Badge Counselors, Cub Day Camp and Resident Camp Staff; as well as Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venture Leaders.