Connecticut Yankee Council
COVID-19 Guidelines for Carpooling
Recommended Best Practices
October 26, 2021
CYC recommends that Youth members be transported to and from an activity only by their own family member (parent or guardian).
Should a unit decide to use carpooling to and from Scouting activities, the following best practices are recommended. It should be noted, currently, neither the CDC nor the State of Connecticut have formal guidelines on carpooling.
- Any Youth traveling in a vehicle with anyone other than a family member must have their parent’s permission. Before giving permission, parents should be informed, by name, who the vehicle occupants are. Any Adult traveling in a vehicle with multiple individuals – including the driver – must give their consent.
- Each passenger in the vehicle should wear a mask while inside the vehicle.
- It is recommended to open windows or use the vehicle’s vent system to increase air flow from the outside.
- Occupants should stay in the same group/vehicle for all portions of the trip, including return.
- It is recommended to leave open seats between passengers.
- Unit leaders should maintain a list of passengers in each vehicle for 5 days after a trip, to respond to questions and facilitate contact tracing.