Connecticut Yankee Council
COVID-19 Guidelines for Carpooling
Recommended Best Practices
January 1, 2022
Connecticut Yankee Council strongly advises that youth members be transported to and from
an activity only by their own family member (parent or guardian).
Should a unit decide to use carpooling to and from Scouting activities, the following best
practices are recommended. It should be noted, currently, neither the CDC nor the State of
Connecticut have formal guidelines on carpooling.
● Any youth traveling in a vehicle with anyone other than a family member must have
their parent’s permission. Before giving permission, parents should be informed who
the vehicle occupants are, by name. Any adult traveling in a vehicle with multiple
individuals – including the driver – must give their consent.
● It is the Council’s policy that the driver and each passenger in the vehicle wear a clean
and dry face mask while inside the vehicle.
● It is strongly recommended to open windows or use the vehicle’s vent system to
increase air flow from the outside.
● Passengers should stay in the same group/vehicle for all portions of the trip, including
the return trip.
● It is strongly recommended to leave open seats between passengers.
● Unit leaders should maintain a list of passengers in each vehicle for 72 hours after
completion of a trip, to respond to questions and facilitate contact tracing.