CONNJAM PINEWOOD DERBY CHAMPIONSHIP — SATURDAY, MAY 14
Who can race? The top three racers for each rank from the District Pinewood Derby Race. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place for Lions, Tigers, Wolf, Bear and Webelos (25 from each District). Substitutes can be entered if the top three are unable to race. Scouts must be paid and registered with CONNJAM to race. Each District will provide a list of eligible racers. We are asking Packs and Districts to adopt these rules for their races.
- You must use the Official BSA Pinewood Derby Kit. No other body, axles or Wheels will be accepted.
- The car MUST have been created in the year that the race is taking place (Unless explicitly permitted by the Racemaster)
- The car MUST have been created by the CUB SCOUT racing it
- As each car is registered, it will be weighed in and checked for the following inspection points:
Pinewood Derby Car Dimensions
- The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
- The car must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
- The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body so it does not rub on the track
- The car must not be taller than 3” tall
- The wheel-base (distance between the front and rear axles) may not be changed from the kit body distance – of 4¼ (4.250) to 4 5/8 (4.625) inches.
Derby Car Weight
- The car weight shall not exceed 5.00 ounces.
- The official race scale that is used at car check-in shall be considered final.
Wood, Wheels and Axles
- The official pine wood block must be used. The block may be shaped in any way that is desired.
- Official BSA wheels must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. You may only remove the seams and imperfections from the wheels. (The new kits do NOT have seams to repair. Ex- cessive sanding will be considered “lathing” and may be disqualified based on the decision of the racemaster.)
- The official nail axles must be used and may not be altered except for polishing and lubrication
- Dry lubricant is the only type of lubricant that will be allowed
Car Modifications Not Allowed
- Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited
- The car must not ride on any type of springs
- No starting devices. The car must be freewheeling.
- No liquids or loose material of any kind, such as lead shot, may be used.
Other Pinewood Derby Race Rules
- Once a car passes inspection and is entered into the race, only race committee members can touch it.
- If the car loses a wheel, or is otherwise damaged, the racer shall have 5 minutes to make a repair
- Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete.
- Lubrication must be done before arrival –( no graphite allowed in Race site)
- The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications. All decisions of the Racemaster are final
- Ungentlemanly or unsportsmanlike conduct by any participant or spectator will be grounds for expulsion from the competition or the race area.
Pinewood Derby Questions Chris Barnabo email@example.com
Powahay Pinewood Derby Championship Race will take place Saturday, March 22, 2022, tentatively at the SONO Collections, 9 AM to 1 PM. More details to come.
Quinnipiac Pinewood Derby Championship Race will take place Saturday, April 22, 2022. More details to come.
Pomperaug & Scatacook Pinewood Derby Championship Races TBD