POMERAUG DISTRICT PINEWOOD DERBY CHAMPIONSHIP
Date: Saturday, April 22, 2023, Race starts at 10:00 AM with check-in and weighing starts at 9:00 AM
Location: St. Mark’s School, 500 Wigwam Ln, Stratford CT 06614
Registration Deadline: All packs must be registered by April 17th
Entry Fee: $50.00 per Pack – Each Pack may enter 1 car per rank (Webelos and Arrow of Light are treated as separate ranks). If the top 2 racers in the Pack are from the same rank the Pack may enter 1 additional car. Cars entered should be the top cars from your Pack competitions. If a scout cannot attend, another member of the pack may bring a scouts car for them to allow them to still race or a substitutions may be made in case an entered Scout cannot attend. Arrow of Light Scouts who have transitioned over to Scouts BSA may still participate in this event.
Includes: Patches for all, medals for top three finishers in each rank, and trophies for the top three finishers overall.
The Races: ALL cars will run multiple heats, in alternating lanes. Cars are assigned to heats randomly. Winner determined by shortest overall time.
Rules: A copy of the rules is below. The rules may be slightly different than those used by an individual Pack. Cars that do not meet the specifications will be not be allowed entry / disqualified. We do not want to disappoint any Scouts so please read the attached rules carefully and MAKE SURE your cars meet the specifications. Any questions on the rules and specifications prior to the race can be directed to Seth Strohecker (203) 816-1683 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Check-in: All cars will be inspected at time of check-in. In the event of a problem with a car, the racer will have an opportunity to bring it into compliance (if possible). Once cars are checked in, there is no access to it until after the race. In the event of a dispute, the decision of the race committee is final. Cars and boxes should be marked with the scouts name, pack and rank.
Attire: All Scouts should be in class A uniforms. All attendees will be required to wear a face mask at all times and socially distance whenever possible.
2023 Pomperaug District Pinewood Derby Championship Rules
- Precut bodies are not allowed. Nail axles, wheels, and body wood shall be from the approved BSA kit. Solid or “straight through” axles are not allowed. After-market, spoked, or modified wheels are not allowed. The kit wheels may be polished to remove the molding flashing, but the shape and side detail of the wheels may not be changed. Burrs or flashing on the nail axles may be removed.
- Width of the car shall not exceed 2-3/4 inches.
- Length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- Maximum height of the car shall not exceed 3-3/4 inches.
- Weight of the car shall not exceed 5.000 ounces.
- Weight may be added to the cars to reach 5.000 ounces, but must be rigidly attached. No sliding weights or loose weights allowed.
- The car must have at least 3/8 inches of ground clearance or it will not coast freely on the track.
- The car must have at least 1- 3/4 inches inside clearance between wheels to fit on the track.
- The original block in the kit provides this dimension. If the wheels are too close together, they will rub on the track.
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
- The car shall not ride on any type of springs.
- Any details added must be within the length, width, and weight limits.
- The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
- Dry graphite is the only lubrication permitted. Graphite must be applied before entering the race facility.
- No loose materials of any kind are allowed in the car.
- The car must be made during the current Pinewood Derby year.
- Cars may not be modified after they have been accepted by the race stewards on race day. Repairs will be permitted only if there is damage that prevents racing.
- No modifications to lead weights will be permitted in the facility.
HINT:Don’t play with the car too much before the races. Pinewood cars tend to get slower and slower the more they are used.